My Top 6 Healthy Skin Tips
Sep 02, 2020
"Healthy skin is a reflection of overall wellness." - Howard Murad M.D.
Not only is our skin the largest organ in our body (16% of our total body weight) it protects us from the world around us. Our skin is always letting us know what's going on in the inside. It is truly a reflection of how our body's systems are operating.
Have you heard of face mapping?
Face mapping is an ancient medicinal technique that makes connections between problems on the face and overall health. If you want to learn more check out this article by Dr. Axe, Face Mapping; What Your Skin May Be telling You.
Paying attention to what our skin is telling us is vital! We are always receiving messages about what's going on inside of us. Symptoms are simply messengers urging us to pay attention and take action! Instead of opting for over the counter meds or countless and expensive doctors appointments, we must learn how to support our body with what it needs and help heal from the inside out.
Did you know there are over 3.7 billion chemical processes happening EVERY SECOND inside our body? It's miraculous! We must learn to support our bodies and give them what they need... and when we do, healthy glowing skin is just a bonus!
Here are my top 5 healthy skin tips:
- DRINK WATER!!! If you are chronically dehydrated your skin will suffer. Check out my recent blog post on How to Hydrate Everyday! It will give you lots of tips and ways to consume more water everyday. Make sure it's filtered and clean!
- Eat real food! Eating processed junk foods is horrible for your skin. It congests our organs and eventually will manifest in our outer shell. We specifically need healthy fats! Here are my top skin healthy foods to include:
- Fatty fish & Fish Oil - wild-caught salmon, oysters, herring, mackerel, anchovies, and sardines all provide vital omega-3 fats which help fortify skin cell membranes and protect it from the sun.
- Healthy fats - Flax seed oil, hemp seed oil, walnut oil, extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, and coconut oils are all high in Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) that helps fight oxidative stress to the skin. ALA is the omega-3 fatty acid found in plants & seeds.
- Green tea - Chalk full of antioxidants, these agents counteract the effects of free radicals that cause damage to cells and tissues. Antioxidants deactivate them before they can cause us harm.
- Dark leafy reds and greens! You get the whole gamut of vitamins and lots of antioxidants that are super skin-friendly. Eat daily.
- Collagen!! This is a trendy supplement. Collagen is the most abundant protein in our body! It strengthens, promotes elasticity and hydration as well. As we age we stop producing our own collagen so supplementing with it daily can help keep our skin, joints, hair and nails healthy and strong! Two of my favorite types of collagen are marine collagen and collagen made from grass-fed pasture raised cows.
- Fermented foods - Probiotics are live, body-friendly bacteria that help fight inflammation and increase our skin's hydration! Pick low sugar options like kimchi, sauerkraut, grass-fed kefir, and kombucha.
- Stress Management - Stress has a negative impact on our entire being! It is truly the main cause of illness in our world today. Stress can cause dullness of skin, wrinkles, and premature aging. It is VITAL to our entire being, not just our skin to manage our stress levels and make stress management a daily priority. Personally, I meditate for a minimum of 30 minutes per day, practice gratitude every morning, eat well, and exercise... all of which reduce stress and promote wellness. It is NEVER too late to start.
- Move your body!! Exercise or what I like to call Joyful movement is key to toning the skin and detoxifying the body. Just move. I carve out 45 minutes every day for movement. My preferred joyful movements are hiking, yoga, walking, and lifting weights. Trust me it doesn't take much and is SO addictive once you get into a habit.
- Sleep. What's amazing is practicing all the above has a positive impact on your sleep! It's crucial that we carve out 7-8 hours of rest every night! Check out my blog post on 11 Tips Towards Better Sleep!
- Rid your life of chemicals! I follow the Chem-Free Lifestyle. Reducing your body's toxic burden is so important in today's world. Our miraculous bodies are not made to constantly be bombarded and detox from all the industrial and petroleum based chemicals allowed in our food and products!!!
- Reduce eating processed foods that are made from chemicals,
- Buy bath, beauty, and household products that aren't full of fragrances/parfumes and other toxins that increase inflammation.
- If you don't know where to start, visit www.ewg.org/skindeep and begin researching the products you now use. If they are high on the toxicity scale, find better options.
- You can also reach out to me if you are just lost and need a little extra help.
There is no secret that ALL of the items/ideas above are part of a healthy lifestyle. It's consistent, daily, healthy habits that, with time, begin to transform your health. There is no secret pill, formula or magic technique that will magically cure you or your skin! Just begin today!
If you have no idea where to start, I highly recommend joining me and a whole group of women who are starting the 14 Day Gut Healing Cleanse!
It puts all of these tips into a program and step-by-step guide. The most common feedback I get from those who have completed the program is that they have much more energy and clarity, clear and glowing skin, and they just feel better in their own skin.
Click on this link to read testimonials and learn more about the programs I offer to help elevate you towards health and wellness.
Thanks for stopping by!
In gratitude and wellness,
NTP, Clean Living Educator & Advocate